The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India represented by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Oman represented by the Ministry of Transport and Communications on Cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space, in February, 2018 at Muscat.
• This MoU shall enable the following areas of cooperation such as, space science, technology and applications including remote sensing of the earth; satellite based navigation; Space science and planetary exploration; use of spacecraft and space systems and ground system; and application of space technology.
• The MoU would lead to set up a Joint Working Group, drawing members from DOS/ISRO, and the Ministry of Transport and Communication (MTC), which will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing this MoU.
• It will provide impetus to explore newer research activities and application possibilities in the field of remote sensing of the earth; satellite navigation; space science and exploration of outer space.
Implementation Strategy and Targets:
The signed MoU would lead to setting up of a Joint Working Group, which will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing the provisions of this MoU.
MoU would lead to develop a joint activity in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity. Thus all sections and regions of the country will get benefited.
• Cooperation with the Sultanate of Oman through this MoU would lead to develop a joint activity in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity.
• The Sultanate of Oman expressed interest to cooperate with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for building its space programme. A 4-member delegation from the Oman’s Department of Communication visited ISRO in March 2011 and interacted with ISRO officials and also visited ISRO’s technical facilities. The Sultanate of Oman conveyed interest to pursue cooperation on Space Applications with ISRO to the Ambassador of India to Oman in May 2016.
• Accordingly, both sides arrived at mutually agreed version of MoU for in the peaceful uses of outer space and the same was signed between the Government of the Republic of India represented by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and the Government of the Sultanate of Oman represented by the Ministry of Transport and Communications on February 11, 2018 at Muscat.